GOODBYES AND HELLOS!
Until now I still have a hard time believing that 2018 is already here. I can’t yet decide what to feel about the change of the year because on one hand, it’s a new start and on the other, I don’t want to grow old 🙁 not to mention that I still have unmet targets last 2017. Can someone please give me an extension? Heh.
Seriously though, I will surely miss 2017. As I’ve said in a previous blog post, 2017 is my ‘me’ year. I did a lot of self-reflection last year and until now, I am still fascinated at the little things that I have discovered about myself. Somewhere along the moments of reflection, there were doubts, regrets, frustrations, and a lot of whys. There were times that I just want to give up and succumb to depression but fortunately, the stronger part of me wasn’t easily swayed by the easy way out. I’m sorry if I’m making you uncomfortable but looking back, I know that each one of us will go through this phase in one way or another. It’s not even an issue about happiness or contentment or fulfillment but it just happens. At first, I could not believe that I’d go through it considering that I have a very sunny disposition in life and yet, I just woke up one day feeling like I’ve failed everything… like I’m not doing any thing right in my life and I could not even tell the family or my closest friends because I don’t even know where to start. I know, right? Maybe, it’s a part of getting old. But seriously, those were really tough times that I could sometimes spend the whole day thinking about illogical things. I hated those moments back then but right now, I could not help but feel thankful.
Those times gave me the opportunity to sit down and reflect on things, to discern what’s my purpose in life and how to achieve that. Until now, I haven’t figured out that purpose yet but I decided to just enjoy life and make it enjoyable for my loved ones, too. I made some lifestyle changes, renewed my faith, created action plans, and do the things that I love doing. Of course, these do not guarantee that I’ll discover my purpose soon but instead of moping up and brooding like the angsty hero, I’d rather live with it and make this life productive. Hahaha.
On a much happier note, I’d like to report that:
- Our big project at work is finally completed although some areas of the implementation need fine tuning. In relation to the said project, I also got to travel to Iligan, an old city somewhere in Central Mindanao. I will not elaborate about what I did there as it’s mostly work-related. I didn’t even get to tour the scenic spots in the City as there’s simply not enough time.
- I bought a new phone for myself. It’s not really a self-reward but I just want to have a spare to cater to my mobile gaming needs. I know I have the wrong priorities. Le sigh.
- My sister finally gave birth! And what a beautiful baby girl! The house is surely on fire as Fani (the nickname’s kinda weird but just roll with it) is the first grandchild of my parents and of course, my first niece. You can just imagine how busy the house is and that my parents seem to need a body bind curse placed on them every other day as they’re grumpy and stressful whenever they see my sister’s or our ineptitude in terms of infant caring. It’s not like we’ve had a lot of practice you know.
- My boss is finally back at work. I haven’t mentioned this but she was really ill and she worked homebased for a whole year. But all praises to God, she’s finally okay and reported back in mid-December.
- And… I got promoted at work! I’m still asking myself whether I deserved it. 🙂
- We also celebrated Thanksgiving Party at work! Surprisingly, I really enjoyed it especially the dancing and drinking part. Heh!
- I also rewarded myself with a brand new Laptop. It’s not as amazing as my old one but since its mainly for blogging, encoding, report typing and the likes, I think it’s already good enough. And besides, my old one is having a very annoying issue right now that I can’t access any of my files. Le sigh.
- Completed my Goodreads reading challenge although I sort of cheated because at the start of 2017, I aimed to read 100 books but then changed it to 40 at the last minute. Yikes!
Bookish Reads and Loots
At some point in November, I finally found that reading groove again thanks to Ernest Cline’s Ready Player One and Sarah J. Maas’ ACOTAR. In my book, 9 reads/month is still low compared to my previous records but I’m just so thankful that I was able to read more than 5.
- The Iron King by Julie Kagawa–
- The Dark Prophecy by Rick Riordan–
- Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson–
- A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas-
- A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas-
- A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas-
- Tower of Dawn by Sarah J. Maas-
- Ready Player One by Ernest Cline-
- The Hollow Girl by Hillary Monahan-
- 1-8. See books mentioned above
- Avalanche by Terry Lynn Johnson
- Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa
- Turtles All The Way Down by John Green
I’m really behind with my TV show watching. I still haven’t finished Hospital Ship and right now, my attention has already shifted to another drama entitled “Hwayugi: A Korean Odyssey.” And since I have yet to watch the pilot episode, I can’t really give you the juicy details about what the drama is all about but if you’re familiar with Journey to the West then you can picture it out.
I’ll probably start watching the drama when it has already aired 4-5 episodes and I am very hopeful that I’m going to finish it because it’s Lee Seung Gi. <3
I’m quite happy with the way my gaming career turned out for the months of November and December. I did ditch Monster Super League again because the new events and updates felt like the usual thing not to mention that it has become P2W. I’m really sad because it’s a very good game at the start but the developers failed to provide updates that are worthy of my time and resources.
But on the bright side, I and King’s Raid are still going strong. Of course, it’s really too early (I’m only playing for 2 months) to give my full assessment of the game but so far so good. At this point, I am really hooked to the point that I made a second account so I can experiment with the other heroes. I am really hoping that I’d still play it one year from now and that the developer would continue being generous and creative.
And expectedly, I finally caved in and played The Sims 4 and all expansion packs until Pets. My poor poor laptop. As you all know, The Sims is my favorite game of all time and every edition has something new to offer. The Sims might not have all the amazing things that I loved in Sims 3 but it has plenty of wonderful features to offer to the table. House building, Vampires, smarter way of family raising, etc.
All in all, my gaming career this year is very much appreciated. I will discuss this portion in more details in my other blog, Snarky Kitsune.
Despite the doubts and the struggles that I have to go through 2017, I am very happy that I didn’t give up and that I was able to adopt the “die trying” attitude. And most importantly, instead of resorting to the old standby to cope up with my inner struggles, I sought for healthier and more positive ways to deal with them. I am not a pious person but this time, I am really glad and thankful that I asked Him for help, that I sought His guidance and enlightenment to cope with whatever I went through in 2017.
At the moment, I am trying my very best to live life fully, and to only focus on the positive things and the things that really matter. Hopefully, I’d be able to stick with my 2018 resolution and be determined enough (not to mention having enough resources) to achieve my goals and targets for the year. These will be posted in a few days so stay tuned.
So how was your November and December last year?